[NTLK] SA-1100/Voyager: Only 2 PC Card ports - how about those 4 of the MP2k? (was Re: IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 02:30:03 PST

>Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:55:40 -0500
>From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent
>
>Salvatore Denaro wrote:
> > Any idea if this new Newton will support the new Amiga OS?
> >
> > <sarcasm>
> >
> > As much as I'd like to see it, I very much doubt that anyone _could_
> produce
> > a new Newton. The Newton dev folks have been cast to the four winds. The
> > tools used to build the OS may not run on any existing OS. The custom
> ASICs
> > are nontrivial and probably not easy to recreate at this time.
>
>Except for that last point, you are right :) Actually most of the "stuff"
>from the Voyager chipset was integrated into the SA-1100 chip. See the
>datasheet:
>
>http://netwinder.oregonstate.edu/pub/netwinder/docs/intel/datashts/27808706.pdf

Very interesting! So most of the Voyager chipset features *would* be
available and even highly integrated - some things only in downgraded
version, though. Voyager offered 4 cascadeable PCMCIA 2.01 ports, SA-1100
only two. Sad.

One question that really irks me: How are the PCMCIA ports of the Voyager
chipset "cascadeable" - what does it mean? Are they all there or not? Could
another two PC Card-adapters be readily run off the Newton, or is something
else needed besides the sockets?

Imagine two additional internal PC Card slots...

DJV.