[NTLK] Overs = an officers rank? (was Re: A word makes Newt go crazy...)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 03:14:36 PST

>Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:35:22 -0500
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] A word makes Newt go crazy...
>From: "Laurent Daudelin" <Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
>
>On 17/03/04 10:59, "Berthe M. Willumsen" <bmw_at_biobase.dk> wrote:
> > When I write a particular word ('overs') the Newton starts firing
> > sounds rapidly (pling, pling, pling, pling, pling, many times over
> > the sound for error message boxes). [...]
>
>Does łovers˛ exist as a word?

Uh, I seem to remember "overs" as meaning "Colonel" or something in
Scandinavian languages (see German "Oberst", same thing). But I may be
wrong and the word I think of is "overst".
   Etymologically it would be derived from the meaning "top most", "the
most over-everything" - think over, overer, overest (which is wrong
English, but the way Germanic languages handle comparatives and superlatives).

But then, what do I know? I'm just

ole man 'Kasko.

P.S.:

>Have list members heard repeated sound before
>(it is the alert sound set in 'Sound' in Prefs)?

Yes, and you can install sound packages and allocate new sound to system
events, e.g. Mac OS 8 sounds. Makes using the Newton feel Mac-ish. ;=}