Re: [NTLK] Blunt and BlueTooth, was Re: Hi, I'm New Here!

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 17:29:35 PST

On Mar 11, 2004, at 5:11 PM, Ikem Nzeribe wrote:

> I know you like that ole 802.11, but you can't pack it in your bag and
> read send your email on a train with it. Or browse the Web on a remote
> hilltop (you know what I mean ;-) Bluetooth makes it a closed solution.
> If you have a GPRS mobile phone, you can pass data without being tied
> to a Wi-Fi hotspot. It frees you from No WiFi Hell!
On the other hand it's very slow, and means you must have a BT capable
cell phone which supports GPRS.

Other BT routing solutions are no doubt available for the PC or mac
platform. This is sort of unknown to me at the moment.

It does potentially give us another wireless way to hook to the
internet, or to a local PC for backups/package installs etc.

In general Bluetooth is only deigned for very short distance
communications(ie the two communicating items are within a few feet of
each other). It isn't a replacement for 802.11b (aka airport) it's
another way to connect.

Marty