[NTLK] RTF with images in Newton Press - error -11005

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 13:18:45 PST

Hi all,

Despite still having no luck with Basilisk II and serial *or* ethernet,
I decided to see if I could make a book with Newton Press. Me being me,
I had to start with something complicated, but something that I would
have expected to work - an RTF file created by NCU notes export.

These are my class notes and as such have a well-mixed combination of
text, ink text, shapes, and sketches, which exported to RTF very nicely
using NCU on OS9/classic. Basically, I wanted to see if I could make a
newtonbook out of my notes, and get them into a single book package file
on my computer that I could load in and out of my newton as needed - and
clear up space for other stuff.

So when I tried to add one of the RTF files in Newton Press, the Mac OS
(7.5.5, the one posted on UNNA) gave me a -11005 error. I looked this
up, and it means "pictureDataErr - Invalid picture data" so I'm guessing
the Mac OS doesn't like something about the non-text parts of the file.

The RTF file opens just fine in OpenOffice under Linux, but I don't
think I have a program on my Basilisk-Mac that'll open RTF to test it
there.

If anybody cares to test the file, I've put it up temporarily (which
means it'll stay there until I remember to take it down, possibly in a
few years) at http://paradox.homeip.net/~rhonda/tmp/MATH257-1.rtf

I'd be kind of interested to find out if the file is just plain not
compatible with system 7.5.5 or if it's a Basilisk or Newton
Press-specific problem despite being an OS system error message.

Has anybody had problems getting Newton Press to play nice with RTF
files with lots of images? Any advice is appreciated.

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project