Re: [NTLK] [OT] Looking for a MacOS 8.1 compatible StuffIt

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 10:51:25 PST

Try downloading the latest version of stuffit from alladins website -
IIRC they include dropstuff with the standard package.

Dropstuff lets you drop folders or files on it's icon and make .sit
archives - I think they want you to purchase a full copy to get rid of
a 'please purchase / register' screen when using dropstuff - but it has
never stopped working (like some shareware times out after 30 days) for
me.

On Mar 4, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Gavin McKenzie wrote:

> I have an old PB1400c/166 running MacOS 8.1 that I bought of eBay just
> so
> that I could do occasional Newton development (after long ago giving up
> on Basilisk and WinNTK).
>
> Problem is, that I've been unable to find a way of obtaining a version
> of
> StuffIt (not Expander, but a way to create .sit files) that is old
> enough
> to be compatible with MacOS 8.1. I know, I could upgrade to 8.5/8.6,
> but
> I haven't bought a CDROM for the PB yet so that's not a solution.
>
> If anyone can point me to somewhere in the WWW that might still be
> offering StuffIt of this vintage, please let me know.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gavin.
> --
> inquiries