Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bid Sniper

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 00:29:29 PST

Additionally, if you use one of the commercial bid
sniping engines, you can even get the bid in after the
other person thinks they already bid within the last 2
seconds. I regularly use a bid-sniper serice and their
servers are so quick, I've been able to "steal" an
auction away from someone with less than a half of a
second left! The server would bid with 2 seconds on
the auction, then someone elses bid sniper would
outbid my bid sniper and my bid sniper service came
back in and took it back! It was amazing to see three
bids within 2 seconds when all was said and done!
Be careful using a bid sniper though, some aren't as
fast and some won't bid the minimum increment. They
will bid your max bid at the last moment...kinda sucks
because you are hoping to get in at the lowest bid
possible!
I once had an auction taken away from me when I didn't
use a bid sniper...now, I use one for ALL my
auctions...it really doesn't make sense and the cost
is negligable...at least at the good ones!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- NewtonGuy <newtonpad_at_alltel.net> wrote:
> The advantage is this.

<snip>
> So if you enter your bid say 2 seconds before the
> auction has completed
> and it is more than what the other person bid (
> which was say $20.00 US
> with a bid increment of $1.00 US ) you could get the
> item for $21.00
> US.
>
> The price would not be bid up because there is
> insufficient time to
> contact anyone or for anyone to find the item and
> bid.
>
> From what I have seen. Most people do not bid on
> the items until the
> last day.
>
> On Mar 3, 2004, at 10:45 PM, Mick Ring wrote:
>
> > on 3/3/04 11:22, Martin Joseph at
> martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:
> >
> >> So I leave it running on my old OSX server, and
> tell it how much to
> >> bid, and it will try and do so directly before
> the auction ends.
> >
> > I've never understood why people do this. I've
> always set a value for
> > an
> > item and then bid that amount. Ebay doesn't raise
> the bid to your
> > maximum
> > unless other bidders try to outbid you. If I want
> to pay $60, what is
> > the
> > advantage of sniping?

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.