Re: [NTLK] color lcd for mp2x00

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 18:37:04 PST

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 06:50:44PM -0500, Jeffrey McMurtrie wrote:
> Well... would it be possible to add a PCB board with a chipset which
> would replace the Voyager chipset? My guess is no, but hey, it'd be
> great if it were possible!

There's not enough known about the Voyager chipset. A contact I made at
Cirrus Logic was able to find me some info about which fabrication plants
each chip was produced at and some historical data, but nothing
technically useful. I'm making a very uneducated guess here, but I would
think you'd need:

- logic & timing conversion for a newer display
- separate control of the new LCD for color channels
- the ability to disable default video where color should appear
- software support for the whole mess that applications would specifically
need to address in their programming, or you get standard Voyager output

The only reason I'd like to see someone pull this off is that it would be
a step closer to an open -hardware- project. That would allow people who
want to better understand digital abstraction and small-scale development
do so with their Newton. Practically, it would probably frustrate more
Newton users than help since the existing hardware is way past its prime
and selling "enhancements" would be akin to keeping a failing romance
alive. Port the APIs! :)

-Jeff