Re: [NTLK] Frozen Newton Project Rebirth?! :)

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 18:39:06 PDT

Martin Joseph wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:43:08 -0700

>Sonny, I don't mean to be discouraging, but I hope you have done your
>homework on this... It is a tired old idea, that while cool if
>executed, has proven to be extremely difficult and complex and
>questionable in terms of value...
>
>Then again, if you pull it off for a reasonable price I'll take one :~)

Hey Marty,

I'm going by the numebrs I see at: http://www.newtenlightment.de/frozen.html
The original MASA Frozen Newton Project website is long gone - last I saw it
was early this year. Now even Google doesn't have a full cache just the
Japanese Text w/no pictures

If I go by the numbers listed at http://www.newtenlightment.de/frozen.html
then the numbers would be:
Original project $30,000 HK which comes to $230 USD.

Don't quite trust the numbers being that the project was complete in Japan
(Yen) and not Hong Kong (HK) currency.Unless I'm mistaken here.

From what I read at the original MASA site there were 20 - 30 people
involved in total for the first run. I'll go with the high number of 30 *
$230 USD = $6,900. I asked around with various vendors and I think this is
actually a low to mid number.

Now you go with the number associated with Ferdi. $175 and that he believed
to keep cost down there would be needed 300 people interested. $175 * 300 =
$52,500 USD.

I would hope that the price could be kept to around $175, but I would not
guarantee that.
It is my hope that people who would be interested please say so and indicate
a mid to high range they would consider for a final cost. I don't know if
this would include shipping at this point - that will be determine after a
closer final cost could be calculated.

I am at this point preparing to ship a disassembled MP2000 (every plastic
piece, of course waiting to get the final ejector button seperated from
metal pin) so they could research the cost and give me a ball park figure
for 2-5 actual pieces - at that time they may be able to guesstimate what a
run of 100, 200. 300 would do to the price...or even 50.

Yes a tired idea, but for some it is still a desire that can be made into a
reality.
Difficult? depends who you ask... if it was just financial and no one else
interested - yes difficult... if there were people interested and willing to
back a project like this as it was in the original project... it woudl be
possible (highly likely)...those original users were die hard users (they
valued this) - to me, they put their money where it counts...they made a
pack and full agreement (contract) regarding the project.. that may need to
be done if this goes into the funding stage....

Now the question of reasonable price, why don't you help me gauge this
question of price by starting it off (others need to input on this also!).
State what you think is reasonable and also a high end range which you are
willing to pay up to. This will aid me in the calculations after I get a
figure to see if this will get off the ground

I enjoy doing thing like project management. I generally don't get paid for
it - but this is a Newt Project and I will enjoy being able to get this done
or not...

There are so many variables, money, pieces to replicate, fabrication
method.... on and on...

Please input everyone, positive and negative input can be helpful, just
consider what your trying to draw light upon. I'm in need of advice and
positive criticism...in case I am not seeing a problem - this way the
project will have a better chance of being completed and some of you and I
will have a way cool case to house our Newts in...

God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Famliy

a trip to NY