Re: [NTLK] [OT] iMac G3 Tech support / Buying advice

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 12:22:35 PDT

On Jun 22, 2004, at 9:37 AM, Stanley Yep wrote:

> Thanks for all your replies.
>
> 1- The 350MHz is in fact a Summer 2000 (Indigo). Is it hard/expensive
> to get
> FireWire and AirPort on this one ?
It's not really possible to "add" firewire, without replacing the logic
board on this model... I think airport is easy though (I'm sure I will
corrected if not :~)

> 2- Yes !!! It seems the 500MHz has OSX installed and hopefully it
> will be
> without the firmware update. Is booting from a system CD enough to
> verify
> that the video problem is only software based and there should be no
> problems with the logicboard ?
No that would show if it's a software problem, but not a firmware
issue. You can use the apple system profiler to check and see what
version of the firmware is installed.

You will need to boot back to OS9 to do the firmware update... AND
BOOTING FROM A CD WON"T WORK FOR THIS.

Good Luck,
Marty