Re: [NTLK] Fwd: My Newton 2100 In The Mail! - Preparation?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 12:17:00 PDT

On Jun 22, 2004, at 7:16 AM, Jared Bland wrote:
<snip>
> - I want to use the internet wirelessly from my Buffalo AirStation G54
That should work. You will need one of the supported cards for
Hiroshi's excellent driver.
http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

> - I would like to sync my Address Book with my Newton
John Anderson amazing NewtSync:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9770
> - I would like to also be able to send and receive e-mail on my Newton
Simon Bell latest and greatest is called Mail V. It's really great, but
does require an IMAP mail serverl.
http://www.newtonmail.dsl.pipex.com/
If you need POP support there are lots of options, but Simon Bell's
Simplemail is excellent:
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/aah66/
> - I would like to use Instant Messaging on my Newton (possible???)
Someone else will need to help with that one.

> I basically need a wireless e-mail and note-taking machine. I am not
> looking to spend much money on the hardware/software required (who
> isn't?) but I definitely would never steal/pirate it.
Most of the above software is free... The wireless driver can be used
free, but you can pay via Kagi.
> If there is a
> wireless card and driver I would need to use, I'd like to use the
> cheapest one (no high-end WEP is necessary). I just want to be able to
> maintain a reliable connection on the various routers I may come within
> range of.
Unfortunately the Newton isn't very smart about automatically
connecting to strange or unknown wireless networks. You need to
manually enter the exact and correct network name, so this will require
configuration with knowledge...

Marty