Re: [NTLK] D-Link DWL-650 (not +) WiFi card

From: Mitch Aunger (maunger_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 07:57:15 PDT

Well, I've been thinking I needed to say something to the group....

I purchased a D-Link DWL-650 (not the +) off ebay for $10.45 (great
price - nobody else was bidding heehee)... it arrived Wednesday and by
Thursday evening, I was up and running!

I thought I was going to need the card lending service, but I finally
found my long lost dongle (in the bottom of the mp2000 box no less! --
gee who would have thought that i was smart enough to put it where it
should be???? geez!) and was able to transfer the packages from the old
NCU I have installed a long time ago on my wife's PC - since it has a
serial port. So after downloading the packages, and reading the
instructions - poof off i went!

Many many thanks go out to those who have posted their experiences in
the Wiki and on their own sites... The page on
http://www.pda-soft.de/english.html about setting up wireless was
priceless to me! It has all the drivers and all the software packages
that I needed to install as well as the setup instructions. PERFECT!

I then used NewtSync - but unfortunately, it tells me that I cannot
sync my calendar because my version of iCal isn't 'equal to or greater
than 1.5.1' when in fact, I have 1.5.2 installed :( I guess my next
try will be the DCL project. -- anyone know how to fix this problem?

I am also having major problems with my office wireless connection - it
keeps telling me that there are problems reading the DNS server - but I
expect that is because of firewall issues and I'll try to talk to one
of the network guru's to see if they can help me. My goal was to be
able to monitor IRC from work (since they've blocked it behind the
firewall) - so I was hoping their external wireless would work (their
instructions say we have to use a VPN to connect to the internal sites
- so I thought I'd be able to access the external internet without the
VPN - but we'll see).

I'll post another note about browsers in a minute. Oops - i have to go
to yard work :( maybe later (after i search the archives of course)

Mitch
Show Me Scents, Inc.
"The World's Finest" Scented Candles
http://showmescents.com
Independent Distributor for Gold Canyon Candles