Re: [NTLK] HP 340cbi printer problems

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 20:53:48 PDT

Lance Baker wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:02:11 -0400

>I just purchased a HP Deskjet 340cbi printer. I see from all the posts that
>the 340 printer is the normal printer for everyone to use. However, is the
>cbi printer the same? Will it work? Will it work if I use the HP 340
>driver?

OK the drivers are normally the same except if there were and special
features. In the case of the 340CBi it offered an IR adapter - the only
question is the IR adapter you have for the 340CBi or the 350CBi as they are
not interchangeable.

Okay drivers, what are you using a PC or Mac? for PCs the drivers offered by
HP are:
DeskJet 340CBi - Microsoft Windows 98, 95 3.11 & 3.1

PCs and Mac are:
DeskJet 340 - Microsoft Windows 98, 95 3.11, 3.1, Microsoft MS-DOS, Mac OS 9
and 8.

Likely for PC it should work with a driver for the DeskJet 340 though I'm
not sure it will cause any issues. For the Mac is there anyone with a Mac
who can answer this?

>Do I need to install an drivers in the Newton other than what is already
>installed with the Newton OS?

Which MP are you using?
I thought the Newton implemented regular IRDa in the MP2x00 - I recall
printing to a HP2100 IR capable printer straight without doing anything. The
eMate 300 also might be able to do this also.
MP1x0 series have the Sharp IRDa implementation I read somewhere..and likely
not able to handle this without a pkg install first.

Found it here, Laurent posted this awhile back on NTLK...

http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2002-02/0778.html

>If I try to print, it attempts to connect,and later says "Newton is unable
>to print". I understand >that the light on the IrDA connector should light
>up. It does not do that either.

I don't recall it lighting up...that I could see it...

>Do I have a defective IrDA adaptor, or is the problem coming from the
>Newton? I own three of >the Newtons, and they are all doing the same, so I
>don't think that it is the Newton's hardware >causing the problem.

Answered this above I think...
You could had a XP Box try it - this usually works from my knowledge
easiest.

>Does anyone have experience with this?

Sorry I have only used a HP2100, 5MP, 6MP and one other with IR

>Also, if you print via a cable, would I buy a cable which attaches at the
>top just like the serial cable I use to connect to my PC?

I think this is only possible with - Print Pack Cable 1.0 and 2.0 versions.
It connects to the Serial Port on the Dongle or if you have a SER-001
installed from PCBman/David H.

Hope this helps :)

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family

Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/