Re: [NTLK] Hiroshi's driver isn't gone. Nothing happened, move on.

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 12:27:13 PDT

On Jun 13, 2004, at 3:42 AM, Robert Benschop wrote:

> On 13-jun-04, at 2:52, Martin Joseph wrote:
>>> 2. Even if it was linked somewhere else, could somebody please
>>> tell me the reason to let Hiroshi know about it? Wouldn't it be
>>> wiser
>>> to tell the *infractor* to remove the link and hope that Hiroshi
>>> doesn't notice? I couldn't believe when Gary said that he already
>>> had
>>> sent Hiroshi the ebay auctions links.
>> Personally I think that was a great idea, as it's Hiroshis
>> responsibility to defend his intellectual property. So telling him
>> just
>> lets him know what's going on. If it didn't violate his instructions,
>> then it was an over reaction, but still does no harm.
>>
>> Trying to hide it from him seems wrong.
>
> There's quite a difference in hiding something from somebody or to
> solve something without letting somebody know.

There's also a big difference between being honest and being self
serving - it's to OUR advantage to deal with such infractions without
letting Hiiroshi know, but it's the better thing to do to comply with
Hiroshi's request in the first place. If someone doesn't comply from
the start - it's HIROSHI'S JOB TO FIX IT, NOT OURS, we don't own IP
rights to his code, we do not own the right to distribute or sell the
code, and afair his software license didn't explicitly tell us to
handle his dirtywork. We have no right to go futzing with Gilgamesh's
or Hiroshi's business, though we obviously want / feel entitled to.

> This seems to happen too often on the list, people move too fast
> without thinking of the consequences it seems.

We DID think of the consequences - do you think Hiroshi would be more
annoyed that the community reported a violation of his wishes, or if we
tried to cover it up? Him finding out the latter, especially if we
tried to hide it, would destroy his faith in the NTLK community -
whereas reporting it strengthens us, shows we are willing to risk him
yanking the driver in order to do what we consider right / what is in
accordance with his wishes.

> Telling people that
> they're selling their Newton stuff too low comes to mind. Hurts the
> other members of the community...
> In this case it seems that no harm was done in the end, but it could
> have been disastrous for a lot of people without any good coming from
> it, so why not leave it alone?

I can run a red light without hurting anyone in the process - then
again, I could cause a 40 car pileup with no good coming from it - so
why not fail to give me a ticket or suspend my drivers license? By your
logic since I didn't hit anyone going through the light everything is
fine. WHat about next time?

> So to be specific, mail Gilgamesh and warn him: YES. Letting Hiroshi
> know of a 'problem' that wasn't even a problem and possible getting him
> rattled: NO

Wasn't even a problem? I beg to differ - why else would we feel
inclined to do something about it? Damn straight we should've told
Hiroshi right away, as WELL as overstepped our bounds and warned
Gilgamesh about it.

-Tyler