Re: [NTLK] Hiroshi's driver isn't gone. Nothing happened, move on.

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 01:42:55 PDT

On 13-jun-04, at 2:52, Martin Joseph wrote:
>> 2. Even if it was linked somewhere else, could somebody please
>> tell me the reason to let Hiroshi know about it? Wouldn't it be wiser
>> to tell the *infractor* to remove the link and hope that Hiroshi
>> doesn't notice? I couldn't believe when Gary said that he already had
>> sent Hiroshi the ebay auctions links.
> Personally I think that was a great idea, as it's Hiroshis
> responsibility to defend his intellectual property. So telling him just
> lets him know what's going on. If it didn't violate his instructions,
> then it was an over reaction, but still does no harm.
>
> Trying to hide it from him seems wrong.

There's quite a difference in hiding something from somebody or to
solve something without letting somebody know.
This seems to happen too often on the list, people move too fast
without thinking of the consequences it seems. Telling people that
they're selling their Newton stuff too low comes to mind. Hurts the
other members of the community...
In this case it seems that no harm was done in the end, but it could
have been disastrous for a lot of people without any good coming from
it, so why not leave it alone?

So to be specific, mail Gilgamesh and warn him: YES. Letting Hiroshi
know of a 'problem' that wasn't even a problem and possible getting him
rattled: NO

Robert Benschop