Re: [NTLK] Error when tapping Notes in Names: viewClass???

From: Berthe M. Willumsen (bmw_at_biobase.dk)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 11:50:21 PDT

Listers....
As seen from the quoted posts below I have problems with the Notes
field in Names. I have tried various things, but none have corrected
it. Duplicated note: same problem, Including a brainwipe and restore;
thus, the problem restores as well (also seen, if I recall
correctly, by another list member whose post I do not have access to
right now). I have finally started thinking about it again (as Roman,
who also had the problem said:

At 0:36 +0100 19/01/04, Roman Pixell wrote:
>i have never been experiencing this before, but i use the notes area a
>lot. its really a bummer.
)

I followed Dan's and Jon Glass' suggestion of looking at soups, and I
use Soup Kitchen. I have located a note in a NameCard which has the
unwanted behavior, as well as a card where the notes field behaves as
expected and wanted.
I can see a difference which I will try to describe. My feeling is
that this is not easily corrected, and I invite (in fact, I beg....)
the program savy listers to think of a remedy:

Browsing Names:

Good entry:
Names on internal, entry 4 of 556

entry: a box with a list starting with
'addresses:(array, 0 elements)' and some stuff I am not copying and
somewhere in the middle
'notes: (array, 1 elements)'

selecting the 'notes' :
entry notes: a box with
  '[0] (frame, 5 slots)'

selecting this:
entry.notes.0: a box with a list of
  'view Stationery:'para'
  'viewBounds: (frame, 4 slots)'
'text: "Here is precicely the text of my note which can still be
opened and edited"'
'viewFont: 10243'
'_proto: (frame, 11 slots)'

selecting '_proto: (frame, 11 slots)'
entry.notes.0_proto: a box with a list of
'viewClass65617' - Ha! here it is...
'viewFlags: 1342737'
'viewFormat:0'
'view TransferMode: 1'
'TextFlags: 4'
'text: nil'
'viewFont: 18435'
'styles: nil'
'tabs:nil'
'debug: 25708'

Bad entry:
Names on internal, entry 3 of 556

entry: a box with a list starting with
'addresses:(array, 0 elements)' and some stuff I am not copying and
in the middle somewhere
'notes: (array, 1 elements)'

selecting the 'notes' :
entry notes: a box with
  '[0] (frame, 1 slots)' - THIS IS DIFFERENT

selecting this:
entry.notes.0: a box with
'text " Here is precisely the text of a note that cannot be opened
and edited, and which, upon selection, complains about missing
viewClass - which it does. Absolutely. In fact, given the chance it
might complain about missing viewFlags, viewFormat and lots of other
stuff as well----"'

selecting 'text'
I get two boxes:
Old value (string)
        contains the text of the note
New value
        contains the (editable) text of the note
and there is an 'uptate' button, and it works, I can edit the
uneditable note this way.......

If, in a good note, I select 'text', I get the same picture as with a
bad one, and can edit etc. in Soup kitchen....

That's it. I really hope you guys that are used to soups etc can
understand the way I have written this.

If I do as Dan suggested, remove the slot (!not the soup! - takes all
of Names....) the Names card presents itself with no note. I can then
add a note, and copy the previous content into it (if I repember to
move it somewhere first) and it will be fine. This is a painful
solution since it is not possible to search out a note one wants to
fix in SoupKitchen (me thinks).

Can anyone make any sense of it and how it may be corrected less
painfully than going through 556 cards and finding the ones with
notes with 1 slot rather than 5????

Berthe
Denmark, MP2100