Re: [NTLK] Something more irritating than off-topic posts...

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 18:59:47 PDT

On Jun 9, 2004, at 3:45 PM, MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:

> Take for example the guy the other day that wanted some "Flyboy" title
> made
> into a Newton book. Did he ever bother sending the text file to me,
> as I
> requested? Of course not. That would require work on his part. I
> guess I'm
> supposed to go out of my way to follow the web link and download the
> text, AND
> create the Newton book for him. I'm hoping that he's checking out
> NewtonPress for
> himself and making the book that he needs.

        That would be me. If you bother to reread the post, I mentioned that
"Flyboy" did not exist in a Newton format and that the author had
approved a copy being made (which he now plans to post on his website
along with the versions for other platforms). I didn't want it for
myself: I generally don't read e-texts. I didn't forward a copy of the
.RTF or .TXT files to you because two other folks that use Newtontalk
had already done it by the time I got around to reading your reply. Of
course, there's no work involved in getting a go-ahead from the
original author before the conversion is done, or forwarding copies to
the author, or even spotting that the work exists and thinking that
Newton users around the world might be interested. No, no work at all.

> Another example: I recently sent an MP 2100 motherboard to a guy in
> France,
> so he could fix his broken Newton. I haven't heard so much as a peep
> from him;
> not even an acknowledgment that he received the e-mail I sent the day
> of
> shipment. So much for professional courtesy.

        Some months ago I sent a motherboard to Europe to be used for possible
future repairs, for which the person who I sent it to kindly reimbursed
me for the postage. The matter was handled off list, but even so the
amount for shipping was well within my means if he had really be up
against the wall.

> I issue the following challenge to every Newton member on this
> bulletin board:
> Make an effort to contribute something, anything, to promote the
> growth of
> the Newton community.

        That's what I've been trying to do, as best I can. Since most of the
people that use Newtontalk have skills and experiences well beyond
those I've had with the platform, I haven't been able to do much beyond
ask questions--but I reported on the status of EETransport when I found
out about it, and urged the gent who runs Infomotions to resume
creation of e-books and steered him towards Newtontalk for further
information, and answering questions about copyright duration based
upon online publications from the Library of Congress.

> Now, get off your @$$ and do something useful!

        I've been trying: clearly not enough to match your strenuous efforts,
however. It's probably best that I go back to lurking anyway...

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net