Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie: Some initial impressions, experiences (and perhaps even recommendations)

From: Glen Givens (CGivens3_at_neo.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 05:23:05 PDT

I've owned (or had) a Newton since the year after they died. A doctor gave
me his MP100 and a handful of software. The 1.3 interface with the computer
was limited, but there.
  Now I've worked my way up to the MP2100 (and loving it) but I still can
not keep the same records on the Newt and the Desktop. It seems that the
only way that I can transport info back and forth is by the copy from the
desktop and paste it into the Newt through Escale and/or NCU. To get
something useable from the Newton to the desktop I export, then I manipulate
it/edit it then paste the changes back into the Newt. If I am on the
computer, I copy info into my iCal/Address, Now Contact/Up2d, and/or Claris
Organizer (depending on which one I am experimenting with for
synchronization) then from the same clipboard copy from the desktop I paste
it into the Newton.
  I have tried Ethernet connectivity (have gone through all the steps and
equipment) and even got it to surf through a router through broadband one
time, then tried to set up e-Mail, now I can't do either.
  Right now I resort to a Serial hookup through the Keyspan adapter to my
iMac G3 Rev B (tray loading) desktop.
  To make a long story even longer, I think that it would have been worth it
if I could have had my PDA with a brain running to its full capabilities.
The TCPP/IP'S, WiFiWaffleWac's, DSL's, XSL's, NSOF's etc's are not words to
me and I usually get lost in a lot of the discussions/expanations. I have
yet to see one method/setup explained on one page from start (Connect to
Desktop) to finish (Enjoy). I am not giving up, at least not until Apple
comes out with the OSX running machine. Even then, I think I will still be
sporting my Newton.

Glen Givens
Newton Addict
MP110, MP130, UMP2000, MP2100