Re: [NTLK] Works - doesn't anymore!!

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 20:44:01 PDT

>Hi All
>
>Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has had the same problem i have
>just encountered with my trusty Newt.
>
>I tend to use it more for working on reports and stuff - sort of like a
>Powerbook replacement. Anyway, I transfered some rtf files over to
>Works (from MS Word via NCU and a Keyspan adapater) ready to head down
>to the local coffee shop to do some work. Unfortunately I did not check
>to see just how big the files were going to be (one was 3.2Mb) and now
>the Newt tells me that there is insufficient memory to open Works. I
>have tried deleting and re-installing Works, leaving the Newt unplugged
>and with the battery out for an hour, and resetting it but all to now
>avail. Everything else seems to work OK - Dates, Dock etc.. it's just
>Works. The memory is currently at 352416K and I have a 4Mb and 256Mb
>card installed. I have not been able to locate where the potentially
>offending files are and I assumed that if I deleted Works and then
>re-installed it, that it would also delete the files as well(?)
>Alternatively how do you do a hard reset and bring the machine back to
>the state it was in when I first got it from J&K? I assume that this
>would solve the problem and I would just need to install all the
>packages again?

Ok there are two ways. The easiest way is to go into Extras, then switch to
"storage" by taping the diamond at the top of the screen. Then find the
soup called "Works". Tap on the safe icon and box should pop up showing how
many works documents you have stored on the various internal and cards. At
the bottom of this box you will see a button "Delete". Tap that and ALL
data/documents in Works that is currently stored on the Newt (both internal
and card) will be deleted and this will definitely fix your problem.

Another possibility is if the big file in question is on a card (which I
suspect it is), remove that card and start works. Select a smaller
document, then put in the card. Hopefully it will stay on the smaller last
used document you just opened and not go back to the LARGE 3.2 meg file you
are having a problem with. If this method works, then go to overview in
Works and checkmark that document and delete it.

It is also possible to delete the big document via a soup editor. However
it is much more tricky as you can really mess up your Newt if you don't know
what you are doing. I can tell you how to dig around with a soup editor and
try to find the large document you are having a problem with if you want.
Just let me know.

BTW-in future split up large documents before importing them. I personally
like to keep them below 1 meg each as it is easier to mange and edit them
with no worry of the Newt running out of Heep.

-Dan