Re: [NTLK] Newton Internet Enabler

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 07:09:45 PDT

>Hi i have a newton 2100. I am looking to get it online. I have a
>browser and an email client. I just need the newton internet
>enabler. I don't really have any programs in the newtons memory.
>When i got it from the seller on ebay it came with no programs. No
>web browser , no email software, no internet enabler. I don't know
>why this is. If any one can help me wiht this also it woyuld greatly
>appreciate it.

Check out UNNA at http://www.unna.org and look under the internet directory.
It is all there. The best email software is Simple Mail/Mail V. While they
are written by the same person Simple Mail (at
http://www.simple.dial.pipex.com/) will handle POP email accounts and IMAP
(although sometimes unstable with IMAP). And Mail V (at
http://www.newtonmail.dsl.pipex.com/ will only do IMAP accounts but do it
very well. So basically if you want POP use Simple Mail 4.x and for IMAP
use Mail V.

As for why it did not have any software, usually a newton is "brain wiped"
or erased before it is resold to protect any personal data from the previous
owner. This will erase all but the ROM packages (software). But since one
can download it all for free from UNNA, it is not a big deal.

May I suggest you grab the manuals for the 2100 at
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/documentation/2x00 they are all there in
PDF format. Then after that check out the FAQ at
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/ I think you will find both very helpful.
Just keep in mind that if the manual says a certain program was preinstalled
and you don't find it (email, web browser etc) it was probably erased with a
"brain wipe". But again everything is on UNNA so don't worry about it. :)

-Dan