Re: [NTLK] More fun: Dead Extras index. How about this IndexFixer? [was Re: Fun with "Reset With Extensions Off" [was Re: Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! - Slightly irritating, folks...]]

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 08:25:26 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: DJ Vollkasko
Date: Friday, January 30, 2004 10:26 AM
Subject: [NTLK] More fun: Dead Extras index. How about this IndexFixer? [was
Re: Fun with "Reset With Extensions Off" [was Re: Crash! Reboot! Crash!
Reboot! Crash! Reboot! - Slightly irritating, folks...]]
*snip*

So now I can get the card issue fixed, if I could get the Soup indexed.
There is IndexFixer 1.1 for NOS 2.x to do the job (see
http://www.modasys.de/htmls/newton/index.html), which is supposed to be run
from a card... Hmh, anybody got any experiences with that? Any caveats
about IndexFixer? Any last words and well wishing?

DJV.
Hmm you could try that, but it really sounds like the internal package soup
store is well "cooked". I would wipe the newt, then try your card and see
if it behaves itself. If the same thing happens, try restarting with the
packages disabled and wipe your card and see if you can install packages to
it. If you can and you don't get any more problems, then I would think it
was just a corruption problem rather than your card itself.

One thing I always suggest is to backup before installing packages. While
it is rare one encounters problems like this, "stuff happens" and it is
always good to have backups just in case.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html