[NTLK] More fun: Dead Extras index. How about this IndexFixer? [was Re: Fun with "Reset With Extensions Off" [was Re: Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! - Slightly irritating, folks...]]

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 07:21:27 PST

Where was I? Ah, right, I said:

"I've kept trying the FAQ-Reset w/o ext. and hitting different spots. Still
no go. Suddenly, a change with card unlocked - hitting old spot, no
dialogue box, machine boots, AND TELLS ME NO INTERNAL STORE ACTIVATED due
to some problem with it. Wow. Pretty impressive.
     Since then, it doesn't activate the extensions in the internal store
anymore, no matter how often I try and whether or not the card is locked -
that just adds the Crash! Reboot!-bit to the whole stew for more flava, but
actually it looks like TWO issues now.

I will try the tip that Jochen recommended - reboot all the way w/o
internal store, w/o card store, and then toggling the card lock to on and
tapping the display.

If that works or not, then I'll try my emergency card and see what I can do
about the internal store. Anybody wanna take bets that I'm able to screw
this Newt up so it won't even give me the time of day anymore?"

    So what happened was that the Jochen-thing worked really brilliant.
Totally awesome. Cool. Right? You bet, BUT... See, now I had the card
mounted but the stuff on it inactive. Swell start, next woulda been tapping
over to my Extras and frrrrreezing any stuff that might be the culprit
(Bugtrap), reboot and see if the card activates okay. ONLY my internal
store is zapped, and my Extras don't open, only give me error -48013 (Soup
error "Soup index does not exist"), so I can't freeze a thing. Really sweet
fix, innit?

Okay, so I send the Newt to sleep, switched to my emergency card, and hit
reset. Boots without trouble (no dialogue advising me about internal store
issues anymore), activates the card, but no Extras, just "Error 48013 says
hi!". D'oh.

So now I can get the card issue fixed, if I could get the Soup indexed.
There is IndexFixer 1.1 for NOS 2.x to do the job (see
http://www.modasys.de/htmls/newton/index.html), which is supposed to be run
from a card... Hmh, anybody got any experiences with that? Any caveats
about IndexFixer? Any last words and well wishing?

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html