[NTLK] eWorld, shmeWorld, Update - do I lose anything when I kick that off my Newt?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 04:35:20 PST

Say, in the mailing slips there's all those references to eWorld, which is
even longer dead than the Newton.

Looking at Clay's website http://www.panix.com/~clay/newton/utilities.shtml
I find two packages that removes or hides any
eWorld-references/links/whatevers, the first is
<http://www.info.apple.com/Apple.Support.Area/Apple_SW_Updates/US/Newton/Other_Newton_Updates/HideEworld.sea.hqx>HideEworld
("This package hides Eworld/Newton Mail functionality on Newton PDA devices
running Newton OS 2.0.") and the second
<ftp://ftp.amug.org/bbs-in-a-box/files/recent/newton/sayonara-eworld.pkg.sit.hqx>sayonara-eworld.pkg.sit
("A small package to kill all references to the now defunct Eworld. ").

Q: So what do these do, do they "hide" eWorld so I don't see it anymore, do
they delete it? Need the package be on the Newton or does it delete itself
after working its magic? Is there any way to bring eWorld back, do I lose
anything (drivers or whatever) without this? Which of the two solutions is
preferable and why - what are the differences?

There's another thing like this by Paul and Victor, called "

KillUpdate for NOS 2.x

" http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/killupdate/ ("KillUpdate is a tiny (<
2k) package that will remove the transport. No fuss, no muss.").

Again, Q: What does it do, "hide" that Update transport so I don't see it
anymore, or does it delete it? Need the package be on the Newton or does it
delete itself after working its magic? Is there any way to bring Update
back, do I lose anything (drivers or whatever) without this?

Cheers,

DJV.

who hopes he'll find a way for his Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! Crash!
Reboot!-problem.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html