Re: [NTLK] New to the group with questions

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 17:32:42 PST

>Also, I just realized that the Newton goes through the reset when a
>battery is ejected and reinserted, even if it's just for a second.
>
>It seems that whatever it was that was keeping a short-term memory for
>it, a sort of Newton PRAM, is not working - at least, that's how I
>interpret it. Does this sound like an accurate assessment, and if so,
>what is the likely cause/solution?

Actually that is normal. When the battery is changed you will get that
message "Newton restarted because the battery was dead". Also if you press
the reset button on the back it will reset the newton, but you will also get
a message "Newton restarted because the reset button was pressed".

There is a super capacitor that will hold the clock and date info for say 30
minutes to a hour, when the battery is out but that is it. All the internal
memory is FLASH and the previous models were all SRAM based so you needed a
battery backup to maintain the memory store during battery replacement.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html