Re: [NTLK] lexmark x215 and the newton over airport extreme

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 11:52:51 PST

Martin Joseph wrote:

>>1) is the printer is compatible with the newton if connected to an
>>airport extreme base station?
>

> How would it be? This seems crazy. It doesn't even have mac drivers.
>
> They don't list how it gets it's printed pages on there website, and
> list windows OS only as supported.

In my experience, Lexmark inkjets are not network or non-Windows friendly.

All models of Lexmark inkjet printers that I've used in recent memory (Z33,
Z65, X75, X83) are impossible to share as network printers because the code
simply does not exist in the printer driver. Trying to share the printer off
of a Windows 2000 or XP box, for example, is simply not possible.

> I don't think this device is a rational candidate.

I concur. Sucks I know, maybe Lexmark should put an icon of a network cable
with a red line through it next to the "Designed for Windows XP" logo on the box.

>>i also need to know if the lexmark x215 is compatible with OS
>>X/Panther, since it is listed as compatible with windows only.

Well, it's Windows-only, so it won't work with any other OS.

> I would reconsider a different laser MFC. Like the brother below(mac
> os8.6-OSX).
> http://www.outpost.com/product/3683255

Brother lasers are cheap and OK. Not great output quality, but you can't
beat the price - under $400 Canadian for a 600dpi, 12ppm laser with built-in
print server (Windows SMB, raw TCP/IP, UNIX lp, AppleTalk, and HTTP printing
support). I happen to support two HL-1270N printers here at work and they
work good.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html