Re: [NTLK] Newton WiFi w/ Lucent

From: Anil (anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 09:00:28 PST

The Driver Labo website page says: WEP???

So may be the driver doesn't support the card with WEP. Don't know for
sure, but I do know the site could do with updating. Because there are
Wi-Fi cards that are available to choose from on the driver set up slip
that aren't listed on the website.

But the Silver Turbo card works fine with 128 bit WEP with my desktop
G4, I plugged it in to the internal Airport socket and connected to my
Nokia base station painlessly. The Silver Turbo card is the same card
that was used in the first graphite Airport base stations, and they
didn't support 128 bit WEP. So I have no idea why my card works in my
Mac with 128 bit WEP, maybe Apple turned off 128 bit WEP on the
graphite base stations to lower the CPU overhead.

I want to use 128 bit WEP because 40/68 bit WEP is not worth having in
my opinion, I would prefer to use Ethernet device access control. And i
have a set up that already works with my iBook and other machines so it
would make more sense to me to get the Newton to co-operate, rather
than the other way round.

Thanks for your info though, I will try this weekend and see if i can
make it work with 128 bit WEP.

Kind regards

Anil.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html