Re: [NTLK] [NTLK][OT] macworld 04 pix

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 09:12:39 PST

On 09/01/04 11:33, "David M. Ensteness" <denstene_at_mac.com> wrote:

>> Maybe not forcing, but definitely not a wise move. It just leaves the
>> few
>> millions who made the jump to OS X with a sour taste in their mouth. I
>> know
>> I do.
>>
>> -Laurent.
>
> No offense is meant Laurent, but what are they spose to do, most things
> that Apple does really upset a very vocal group of Mac users, always.
> Because we are the most loyal customers in the world we expect Apple
> owes us. I don't know where Apple signed on for that. I also thing that
> because of the outrageous standards that we as well as the tech
> industry put on Apple they will always disappoint, because they simply
> can not meet the standard that we set.
[snip!]

David,

No offense taken. I thought I read on this list earlier today that Apple
gets 90% of their business from hardware.

So, to me, they need to increase their market share. iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie
and iDVD are extras that make the platform more attractive. These
applications also server to some extent to define the direction Apple is
taking and serve as examples for us, developers. I can understand they sell
the apps on a DVD because iDVD alone is over 1 GB, and for the other apps,
not everybody has broadband access. But, I don't think that Apple should try
to squeeze more money from those applications. They only serve to augment
the value of the Macintosh platform.

I was talking with a fellow co-worker yesterday who is also a Macintosh
user. We were arguing over the price of the new iPod mini, and what we
thought is good and bad for Apple. I was telling him that Apple needs to
increase their market share. However, when I receive the Microcenter
circular, I see, for example, laptops starting at $600. Then, when I flip to
the (tiny) Apple section, the cheapest iBook starts at $900. So, that's why
I think that Apple needs to add some value to the platform, not only to new
sales, but to the existing base. They cannot afford to lose much of their
base after they convert them to the Macintosh...

Just my $0.02...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html