Re: [NTLK] Sync w/ WinXP and P4

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 06:25:24 PST

OK BEFORE U DO ALL THAT did you make sure u had the comport correct in your settings? ie: is your serial cable on comport 3 and your settings set for comport 2?

HTH

LAG

Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:
>OK, I'm stumped. How do I get my Newton to sync up. NCU can't find my
>MP120 or my MP120 can't find NCU. Any thoughts?

Ok first try slowdown.exe (it is on UNNA) as most newer computers run too
fast for NCU to make a reliable connection. And you may need to run more
than 1 instance (clicking on it several times and is visible say 3 times in
the task bar). Next to check is that your FIFO buffers are on but not set
at the highest setting (located in control panel/system the find your serial
port in the device manager then right click on it and select properties the
under port settings click the advanced button you should see your FIFO
buffers and their settings). Usually one notch above the lowest setting is
best

Another thing to check is that something is not actively using the serial
port. For instance some graphics tablets will actively communicate with the
serial port weather you are using the tablet or not and NCU won't be able to
use the port until you turn off the driver.

Now on NCU make sure you have listening turned on, set to the proper COM
port, and the speed is at 38k. Then close NCU, attach your newton (I
usually do it with the power off). Run Slowdown.exe a couple of times with
it set on the slowest speed for each instance. Now start NCU, and when it
has finished loading then connect using the connection app in extras and set
the connection to "serial" this is standard 38k speed. Now hit connect and
see if it will connect.

If you do all of this and it still does not work, let me know and I will try
to help you further.