[NTLK] Multi-format Newton Book mystery SOLVED!

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 21:30:30 PST

Hi all,
Well I just figured out how to make multi-format books with Bookmaker. And
I was right, it does add to the size somewhat but not awful bad. On a 800k
book it makes it about 900k and that was with one extra format. It will go
up the more formats you add.

After MUCH studying and testing with bookmaker I found out how to do it:

First create a book as you normally would with Bookmaker dot commands. Then
create a source file with the bookmaker program. Now take your source file
and go to the part that says (should be shortly after the main text of the
book):
// Pages
pageList := {pageSize: {left: 0, top: 0, right: 240, bottom: 318},
 contents: [], pages: []};

Now at this point you can change the 240 and 318 to make different format
books. To make multi-format book you need to copy from that line to the
last line of the file and put it at the end. Then you can change the second
"pagesize" values to the format you want and save. Now you can create a
package with this file using Newton Toolkit and you will have two formats.
Just repeat for more than one format.

Personally I want my books as compact as possible and I often break the
files up so that the entire book does not need to be installed at once (if
it is a very large book as not everyone has a lot of memory to spare). But
for those that want more formats in one book this will do it. And it does
solve the multi-format Newton Book mystery. Enjoy.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html