Re: [NTLK] Centennial Linear Memory Card

From: gmoody_at_gmx.net
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 14:20:48 PST

Because the cards you bought are 5V Read/12V Write.

Linear flash cards come in three flavors:
12V/12V Read/Write
5V/12V Read/Write
5V/5V Read/Write

All of these have a read/write lifetime of around 100,000 cycles. This is
5-20 years of life in a Newton, and about an hour or two in a busy router.
Hence, do not buy linear cards that have been used in a router. Caveat
Emptor.

MP 100-2100 use the 12V/12V, and the 130-2100 can also use the 5V/12V as
well as the 5V/5V cards (although woe to you if you perform a hard reset on
your Newton with these types of cards inserted. This frequently fries the
cards. Always eject all cards before performing a hard rest on your
Newton!!).

The eMate uses the 5V/5V cards. It can read the 5V/12V cards, but cannot
write to it. Hence the "read-only" warning. An idiosyncracy of the
hardware of the eMate.

Regards,

Gary