Re: [NTLK] [OT] Economics of piracy

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 10:10:18 PST

On Feb 23, 2004, at 11:34 AM, Josh Ormsby wrote:

> Radio? Stealing?
>
> Songs on the radio are not played for free. They are paid for by
> advertising. There are royalties paid to the artists or the owners of
> the
> rights to the song.
>
> Granted, money is generally going to the large corporations and not
> musicians, but you don't have to listen if you don't like the system.

Regardless of who gets paid what (musicians RARELY get paid by anybody)
my point was that music is not the same thing as candy bars, where
stealing really is black and white.

Radio was a bad example as was already nicely pointed out by Rhonda.

Still when your neighbor says I just got this new record, come over and
listen to it...

It seems clear to me that listening to your friends music is your right
as long as no financial gain is involved.
I good lawyer could make the argument that downloading music is the
same thing (ie listening to your friends music).

Hopefully someday, someone stops capitulating to the RIAAs stupid
attempt to intimidate people and fights them in court.

Marty

PS I am not a huge music buyer ( I usually listen to KPLU
tacoma/seattle) but I have spent more then I would like from the damn
iTunes music store.
PPS Seeing your favorite band play live, or buying an OFFICIAL Tshirt
is a much better way to get some $ to them.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html