Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Larry Zasitko (l.zasitko_at_sasktel.net)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 15:56:40 PST

Jared,

While I can agree with you on some level I can't get past others, maybe
it's my age.......

>>> There's no
>>> reason there should be white spots on the laptop screens.. ANY OF
>>> THEM!
>>
>> That is a QA issue that has come up before for Apple and others.
>> It's the LCD makers quality control that is also at fault for letting
>> these out.
>
> If Apple creates a machine - with whatever parts - they should inspect
> it to make sure there are no problems. Why would a company, especially
> Apple with their <5% market share, release Junkware if they could
> prevent it? Don't downplay Apple's responsibility. If I bought a
> product and resold it, whose responsibility is it to make sure the
> product is working 100% when it leaves my house?

I really have to disagree here. You are obviously watching some of the
iBook/PowerBook forums and seeing all the negative posts and people
whining about the computer and what faults it has, but how about all
the people that have had no problems with hardware, screen software
etc. I have done some checking and in the laptop market Apple has a
good share of it (better than when compared with the desktops) and
their market share is growing every day. Last year they made 900,000 +
laptops. I too read all about the supposed class action suit against
Apple (only 1500 signatures the last time I checked) If half the
laptops were iBooks then the failure rate is really very low (sub 2%).
I wish other companies could produce anything with that small a failure
rate!

Most companies including IBM, Dell, Gateway have very different
warranties for lcd screens, they are prone to defects like stuck or
dead pixels and other blemishes, just like those that Apple uses. Don't
believe me? Just do some googling and you will find it......

It is also a well known fact that if someone is having problems they
complain, and complain to a lot of people, you very seldom hear
anything from those that have had the computers (like I have) and have
very few or no problems.

>>> Some people just don't get it. There hasn't been anything truly NEW
>>> in
>>> Apple's hardware lineup for atleast a year and a half (don't start in
>>> about the PMG5, that's a big silver monolith.. It's a silver AT case
>>> with holes and an organized interior.
>>
>> If you hate their lack of innovation and design then grab something
>> else.
>> No one makes you stay on their hardware.
>
> Their hardware, OS and software are months, if not years ahead of other
> companies'. I'm comparing apples to apples (no pun intended) in my
> posts. If people would just leave out other companies' products, we
> can have a serious discussion about Apple, their current designs and
> the direction the company is taking with their entire line of products.
>
>> it is far from an AT case
>
> Slight exaggeration, but - again - that wasn't my point.

I have been playing in computers since before you were born so have
seen most everything. Apple has always stood out from the norm, and
seemed willing to step out from the rest of the computer companies,
just look at some of the prototypes that they have made and some that
they dared to market. I agree that it does sell, especially to the
young market. I have a blueberry iMac (well actually the wife has....)
and I have a Graphite Clamshell SE that I use more than my PC's. While
I like the bright colours and cases that is not the best part of any
computer. In most cases it comes down to the OS and the programs and
Apple again is different from the norm. I have been using Jaguar and
find it to be fast and stable, very stable, I wish I could say the same
for my desktop with Windows XP Pro. I still like the iBook and the
Powerbooks of today, maybe a bit more industrial looking but certainly
not the same as everything else on the market.

I for one like the new iMac with their fantastic lcd screens and I also
like the G5, which is not anything like any PC out there. If you want
outrageous do a search for water cooled PC's, yes water cooled

Apple was brave enough to produce and sell the Newton and even though
it is no longer made there is still a large number of people that use
them and remain loyal to them. I am not so sure that I would call that
a failure. I agree that Apple should have kept the Newton alive but not
everyone is far sighted to know what is going to be in the end a
success. Against all odds we are still here talking about the Newton
and seeing new products being developed for it and that is great. When
I find something on the market that can do all the Newton can I will
stick with my Newtons.

Just my 2 cents worth :-)
Larry Zasitko
Newton OMP, 110, 120, 2100, eMate