Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 11:52:08 PST

On Feb 23, 2004, at 11:26 AM, Jared Bland wrote:

>> I'm sure they are doing their best but never have I felt so out of
>> tune with
>> what Apple are doing.
> <snip>

> PowerMac G5) as they were just 4 years ago,
Wait, you were like 10?
> they have lost the one key
> thing all Apple products used to have - and have no more. Their
> personality. Using my 12" PowerBook 867, I do not feel the emotional
> bond I had with my Blueberry iMac DV. I feel as if I'm on a superior
> OS running on a slick computer (Apple OS + Sony 'Book). Nothing more.
Hmmm, this is indeed a powerful point. But apple has built many
powerful and emotionally inspiring machines in past that were dismal
failures in the market (visavis Newt). Also, maybe you should go back
and use windows for a bit to see what a real cold fish feels like.

> I wish Apple would do something, because a stable, pretty OS (which
> Panther is not) and thin, light machines not sell computers in a world
> of beige the way a Bondi Blue All-In-One will.
Perhaps this is true, I'm not so sure. In reality I think the new
approach is probably a better way to sell machines. Many people are
scared away by things that are too obviously different.
> People want something
> truly different,
About 5% Apparently.
> and Apple's current lineup of products (including
> their software and OS) is truly... not.
OSX is truly different from windows, which makes it quite a unique item
in the market for personal computers. OSX is really the story Apple
has to tell now. The hardware is as it ALWAYS has been, secondary. As
long as they continue to improve (yes there is room for this :~) OSX
and out develop MS, which they are handily doing at the moment, they
are on the right track IMHO.
> Apple, hear my plea! Bring that "WOW" factor back into your computers
> and the OS they run.
The wow factor is nice, but it's important to "stick to the knitting"
which isn't exciting or as obvious, but ultimately is much more
important IMHO. Also, watch for the G5 and new architecture to appear
across the whole Apple product line real soon now.
> Thin and light no longer mean "different". Show
> us the light, Apple - like you did in 1984, 1998 and 2001.
You weren't born in 1984. heh. Again let me say I think as does $J that
most of the real innovation to come in personal computing is going to
be in the software.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html