Re: [NTLK] NCU and Windows XP

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2004 - 09:04:34 PST

I had to remove some competing hardware (I think iR and a non-existent Comm)
to free up Comm3, then added hardware (my USB to serial converter) to Comm3.
Then re-booted to let the old hardware find a new home. I've read that Comm3
is preferable, why I'm not sure. This allowed me to gain access to this port
and then it also showed up in NCU.

Then the real fun starts, good luck. For sure you'll want the modified
ncu.exe that accommodates the 57k protocol and maybe need the slowdown.exe
utility depending the speed of your machine. Also get used to seeing a new
behavior in XP, black screen of death - inevitably your machine will
spontaneously reset - skipping the traditional "Blue Screen of Death". I
wish I knew what caused this.
----------------------------
I have used NCU with com1 and 3 without any problem. But then I have not
tried it with XP so I can't say. It is possible that it fights you, I have
found one of the main problems with XP is it thinks IT knows what is best
instead of you. I wish it would just obey rather than fight you when you
try to do something "different". Computers that set themselves is fine, but
give me MANUAL OVERRIDE! seesh

As for skipping the traditional "Blue Screen of Death", that is a feature of
the NT architecture. You can change that with one of the settings in
control panel/system. The setting is called "restart on crash" or something
like that. I was always surprised that Microsoft chose to enable that by
default (of course they enable a lot of things by default that should not
be). It is fine if you have a sever and want it up 24/7 so if it crashes
you want it rebooting then find out later what happened. By the way, every
reboot is logged in the system log with time, date and reason. It might
help you track down the problem.

One thing I have found is NCU does not "play well" with other apps at times.
And it is best to have NOTHING else running except NCU and slowdown.
Perhaps a firewall if needed but nothing actively connecting to the
internet. You may even want to disable your screensaver. NCU was aborting
sometimes during backup and I could not figure out why. Then one day I
realized that if I had all the extra stuff in the background off, the
problem abated.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html