Re: [NTLK] OT Palm dropping support for mac

From: Rick Ludwig (bensisko_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 21:35:02 PST

Interestingly enough, this could be what encourages Apple to release a
PDA (or an Apple smart phone). Now, before anybody goes Nuclear, please
realize that I still hold to my belief that Apple will not be releasing
a PDA of any sort.

I have two other points to make about this development:
1) Please realize that PALMSOURCE (the OS) announced this. PALMONE (the
hardware) could still release a Palm with Mac OS sync. Given what Sony
has done with both the Hardware and software, I would not be suprised
to see a PalmOne PDA that wil sync with a Mac.

2) If PalmOne does not support Mac, then people might be better off
getting a Pocket PC. It's been said many times that if you want to see
what the Newton would be like had it been given half a chance by Mr.
Jobs, look no further than the Pocket PC. Small form factor,
handwriting recognition, multimedia, and an amazing color screen make
PPCs a better "chunk off your powerbook" than a Palm does. With "The
Missing Sync" for Pocket PC (using iSync), it works just like a Palm.

The PDA world is a confusing and frightening place right now. PPC has a
good market share, Palm is bickering amongst itself, and now, it's very
possible that you won't be able to buy a PDA with Mac sync out of the
box.

I would wait another year or two. Give these pocket video devices a
chance to fail, smart phones to tone down and MS to cut down on Pocket
PC support. THEN Apple will come out with a device that combines all of
what you need that easily syncs with your Mac (then maybe after another
year or two it will work with PC).

-Rick

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html