Re: [NTLK] Messagepad 130 internet

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 15:52:57 PST

On Wednesday, February 11, 2004, at 09:09 AM, Andy Collins wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> I've only just got a MicroWriter Agenda (and no manual) so I haven't
> explored its capabilities fully but IIRC you can get serial comms out
> of it?
>
> Before I got my MP2K I used serialkeys (SP?) to use my PC running a
> terminal emulator as a Newt keyboard and it worked OK.
>
> So I think you could that or something like it to tell the Newt to
> expect ASCII input down the serial port get the Agenda squirting the
> chars you chord down its port and Bingo! job done.

        As I remember it (mine is packed up because we moved recently) there
is a program just to do this with the AgendA. The problem is that it
wants to be set up from a Intel machine rather than a Mac. I could
make the AgendA spit data into the Newton or the PowerBook at 9600
baud, but I don't know of any way besides the program for Intel
machines to make it into a serial keyboard. This is a problem the
original MicroWriter, which was a serial keyboard with a one-line
display, didn't have.

> Cheers.
>
> Andy.
>
> P.S. you don't have a spare Agenda manual do you?

        No, but if I can find mine I'll let you know and send you a photocopy:
it's only a few pages long, and about the size of the AgendA itself.

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html