[NTLK] Fwd: Re: Serial Modems on Newton: 56k possible?

From: Robert Serna (japecan_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 21:43:01 PST

Date: Thu, Feb 5, 2004
From: Untitled Person <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: DJ Vollkasko
Date: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 5:43 AM
Subject: [NTLK] Serial Modems on Newton: 56k possible?

Dear All,

I'm thinking about getting myself an analogue modem sometime in Spring, for
travelling with my MP 130 (e.g. checking weather reports when going off
kayaking, river gauges and keeping up with my email).
*snip*
--------------------------------------
Well I know that the serial port can do 56k easily as I use that speed with
NCU. But I think that a modem on the serial port might need special
drivers. And while there are drivers for "hayes compatible" modems, but I
am not sure if they will work with newer serial modems (been a long time
since I adjusted/tried).

The original Newton Modem was external, black, took 2 AA batteries for power
(or a newton power adapter) and used the "Newton Modem" setting in the
preferences. The only problem with this modem is the speed, only 28.8, it
is fine for email though. Of course with a 120 or 130 you pretty much need
a external modem as it is difficult to have NIE, internet apps and room for
downloads only using the internal Newton storage. It was the reason I
picked up a Newton Modem in the first place.

If you do try out a serial modem, get the Modem Enabler. That should give
you more settings/ajustments which might allow you to get a true hayes modem
working on the serial port.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
sent with a Newton Message Pad 2100