[NTLK] [OT] Sudden monitor death

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 08:27:35 PST

A little off-topic but since I didn't know where to start, I thought I would
give it a try here.

I bought a used Apple Studio Display 21" about a year ago. It was working
fine although there has always been a slight problems with some areas on the
monitor that were slightly darker. Geometry adjustments could make the
problem less apparent but I was unable to make it go away completely.

Anyway, over the course of the last few weeks, I would have problems with
the monitor, like it would lose its image, or there would be a bad case for
degaussing, accompanied by some kind of strange noises, but I was always
able to bring it back.

Yesterday evening, all of a sudden, the picture shrank toward the middle of
the screen and was very fuzzy. I could barely see what was on the screen,
much less move the mouse pointer. I tried to switch the resolution by
guessing the location of the display menu in OS X.

At some point, the picture disappeared completely. I forced the computer to
restart but the picture never came back. I put back my Studio Display 17 and
all was fine. So, the problem is definitely with the Studio Display 21.

So, what are my options? Could I have it repaired for a reasonable fee? I
don't want to spend a lot of money on it because I'm afraid it could break
again. I've read that those problems where the monitor seems dead are the
easier to solve.

In the event I want to dispose of it, what can I do?

Thanks in advance!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html