Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 07:42:12 PST

>From: Anil <anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com>
>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:42:39 +0000
>
>I mean isn't that the whole point
>of a computer, to use it to do something other than maintaining and
>upgrading it?

But that way you are missing the whole tamagotchi effect! ;)
I truely understand if some people use a high-end Wintel/AMDows machine for gaming these days. I sometimes watch a few minutes of a certain gaming centered TV-Show that grew all over NBC in Germany for amusement, and sometimes I even say "that looks really neat". But OTOH, I personally do not have any time for gaming anyway, and if I had I would much rather buy a GameCube or PS2, as I would not want all the maintaining, upgrading & patching.
One again has to face simple facts:
Most of what the majority of people do with their computers, *work related*, could even today be done on a Macintosh. On the original one, from 1984. Or say a colour classic, to be fair. Or any given 386 with windows 3.1. Or Atari. Or Amiga 500.
Yes, I said most & majority, I know that there are a lot lot exceptions and jobs that just demand more CPU power each and every day. But I laugh each time I see a review of some el-cheapo PC with whatever, 1,8Ghz CPU stating I would be "sufficient for office work".

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html