Re: [NTLK] Q: Printing to HP LJ Plus PS (local, network) - advice and printer drivers appreciated

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 06:28:45 PST

From what I can see from your Note:

you are lucky to have a printer with a HP JetDirect card.
I got best results using the direct way - connecting my Newt via Network
(MP2100 with Ethernet card).
I cannot help you with PCMacLan because I gave up on that some time ago.
Since you have a 130 - proposing to use a network card might not be the
preferred option ...
What I did in the past as well was using a (hardware) LocalTalk to Ethernet
Bridge to convert from Newts LocalTalk to the existing in the office
Ethernet.
I am not sure about whether PCMacLan has this functionality or not.

If you want to connect directly to your Printer:

LocalTalk needs special hardware, not just a simple Mac serial cable: this
is in your case at least 2 LT termination boxes and a LT connection cable
inbetween.
You can use also phonenet-hardware, but the configuration is similar.

A serial connection is always tricky, because you have to take care of what
devices you are going to connect, because the pin-out is different for a
modem cable (Rx and Tx NOT crossed) and your Newt to PC cable (Rx and Tx
CROSSED). To make a proper serial connection to your printer you need a NOT
crossed cable. And of course all the settings for Baud rate, start and stop
bit and parity must match between your Newt and the printer.

I think I have still some LT hardware and my old bridge laying around
here...
So if you are interested, email me off list.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html