[NTLK] Landware Review: WriteStuff and Merlin

From: gmoody_at_gmx.net
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 05:43:47 PST

I just found this review from my archives on comp.sys.newton.misc. This
covers the functionality pretty well. I use these tools every day, worth
every penny. Most of the toolset are enhancements to Works, but ProPoint
works everywhere, and the spellchecker and thesaurus can be called as
standalone windows to check words either written or pasted in.

This package also works and plays well with Standalone's WorksBetter, which
adds different structural functionality.

Hope this helps...I'll look for more reviews or write some more.

Regards,

Gary

For all you MP2000 users:

I just received my copy of "the writeStuff" published by LandWare. I
purchased a bundle which included Merlin (spell checker) and wordsleuth
(thesaurus).
Thought I'd give you some general impressions of the products.

the writeStuff is a series of packages, add-ins for the MP2000's WP. These
modules include:

    1. proPoint 2.0
    2. Style Sheets
    3. ScribeWorks
    4. Word Count
    5. Tabulator
    6. CharPicker

Except for ScribeWorks, which is invisible to the user, the rest of these
packages show up in the NewtWorks tool popup list. Those of you who want to
hand-write in the WP should seriously consider this bundle. The
functionality of Scribeworks is a huge improvement over the HWRWorks from
standalone. At least it knows how to space words properly. It lets you
insert use gestures to insert page breaks, double-tap on words, etc. In
addition, it makes the caret functional! The only "bug" I've found so far
has to do with commas -- it wants to add a space before the comma. I'll

proPoint is similar to CaretPro and others -- it creates a "customizable"
caret. This customized caret comes with an easy-to-use editor, and some
pretty cool features. If you have merlin & wordsleuth, you can launch them
from the caret. This is 2000 compliant and very robust, unlike freeware
version I was using. I added a "my email" to the list that pops-up when I
tap the caret, and it looks up my email address and inserts it! tres cool.
It does more than simple text replacement/insertions. I use this thing
_all_ the time. This one alone is worth the cost!

Style Sheets are okay in general, as I have limited use for them. The
project I'm working on requires I write some scripts, so it enables me to
do the centering, indenting, left-justified pain-in-you-know-where that
scripts demand, and it's somewhat automated. An option lets you add a
stylesheet button to the WP button bar, and that makes it easier, but it's
kind of crowded down there if you're not in landscape mode. Still, it's
useful, and it beats doing all of the reformatting by hand. Nice
implementation.

Word Count is, essentially, instantaneous, delightful, and direct.

CharPicker is just like the Insert Character table that pops up in
Microsoft Word. This is great since you don't have to poke around trying to
find what key combo makes the weird, upside-down omega. This is accessible
directly through the caret, or through the tool menu. Very nice.

Tabulator I have yet to use, but here's what they say it does: "Tabulator
can quickly convert tabs to spaces and vica-versa. This tool is useful for
rectifying improperly formatted documents." Well, I'll take their words for
it. I haven't had a need for this, yet.

The writeStuff package, I believe, has made the WP (almost) as functional
as it needs to be. All I need now are headers and footers, with automagic
page numbering. I have mentioned this in my email to landware, so we'll see.

merlin is, well, it's a real spell checker -- not that stupid, dinky spell
checker provided with Works. It requires nothing special to plug itself
into works (it replaces the stupid, built-in one), and has lots of smart
features. This has been reviewed elsewhere, but I will state that I need
nothing better for real spell checking (this was written on CIM, so forgive
the misspells :) )

It is VERY nice to have a real thesaurus on-line. Wordsleuth is pretty
clever, and nicely implemented. It, like merlin, is available from the
caret as well as from the menu. This makes both products available wherever
carets are sold... er... displayed.

So, on a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give this package an 8.7. I am really
thrilled with this bundle. If you plan to use Works, don't be without it.

-- Mike Berlyn
(No affiliation with Landware.)

http://mail2web.com/ .

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html