Re: [NTLK] Best 3Com X-jack Ethernet Card?

From: Andrew Beals (bandy_at_cinnamon.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 15:35:33 PST

Dongle or no, my experience is that PCMCIA ether cards tend to last about a
year in highly mobile [multiple jack/unjack events per day] before something
gives and they're toast.

Failure modes:
        card goes dead
        dongle connector gets bent up
        dongle mysteriously stops working
        card continuously interrupts [hangs w9x]
        rj45 clip breaks off
        card goes deaf

I've had all three kinds of cards die on me. I treat them as consumables and
buy them cheaply when I can. I prefer x-jack cards because as it has been
pointed out, most places with ethernet have ethernet cables.

        Andy

ps. Haven't had cards with integral dongles [not x-jack] croak yet, but I
haven't given them that much use.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html