Re: [NTLK] Best 3Com X-jack Ethernet Card?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 15:16:44 PST

On Feb 2, 2004, at 3:10 PM, Brian wrote:

> On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 08:59 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> wrote:
>
>> From: Norman Palardy <palardyn_at_shaw.ca>
>> The X jacks were just so tiny that people often forgot to lock them
>> back in place and then stuff the laptop in a case and broke them off,
>> caught them on something, etc.
>
> I am not super certain of the utility of X-jack PC Cards, think about
> it. With a card that needs a dongle, the dongle is also (with the 3com
> 589 cards) the RJ45 cable.
Not necessarily, my 3com card has a female end...

> If you get an x-jack card, you are also packing around a cable- a short
> patch cable in case you get somewhere and they had a spare jack, but
> not a spare cable for you to use. You're still packing a (patch) cable
> around, and it's not as pliable as the very flexible dongle cables so
> doesn't mush into as small a space as the dongle.

True there is always a bunch of stuff to lug... But ethernet cables
abound and dongles do not, so if you find yourself with just your newt
and your xjack card you can usually get hooked up, but if you've lost a
dongle you are SOL...

Marty

PS I am going to stay on topic this month I swear! I was shocked to see
how many posts I made last month, and I'm glad the stats don't count
OTs :!)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html