Re: [NTLK] No sound on MP2kU. As if on mute.

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 06:44:35 PST

Jake Bordens wrote:
> Ok, so I think I'm convinced that its a loose connection inside the
> device. A gentle squeeze around the case near the speaker causes audio
> to come back.
>
> I hope its a connnector, and not a cracked board. My newt's old, but
> never dropped or abused... Has anyone experienced a problem like this
> and is it a simple fix? Perhaps someone who's taken their device apart
> can give me some troubleshooting advice?

The speaker is connected to the main logic board with a connector, yes.
Simply removing the back cover will allow you to inspect the connector and
wires. The connector is marked J4 on the MLB.

Check out Frank's disassembly instructions here:

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

You won't have to do a full disassembly, just remove the back cover.