[NTLK] [ANN] Please DON'T Reply to an existing thread to start a new thread!

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 07:25:57 PST

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to remind people what if they are starting a new topic, please
don't reply to an existing topic and blank out the subject and body.

Some people like to start a new topic by hitting reply on a post, then just
deleting the subject and body. But this causes their mail client to still
consider the message part of an existing thread, and so messages get attached
to threads that are totally unrelated.

If you don't know what I mean, here's an illustration from my Mozilla Mail
view of Newtontalk in threaded mode showing what happens:

http://www.newtontalk.net/threading.gif

I bring this up every now and then when it seems like it gets out of hand.
Just remember, if it's a new topic, start with a fresh message window :) The
list address isn't hard to remember, it's newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net

Thanks.