[NTLK] [OT] Chat clients and revenue

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 15:03:25 PDT

> As has Yahoo! for that matter. It's a moving target - they want to be
> able to
> generate revenue from IM traffic, and third-party clients aren't
> likely to

   I've always wondered this: how exactly do IM clients companies
generate revenue from the clients? The clients themselves are all
basically free. You don't have to pay to use the networks. The
official (non-iChat) version of AIM messenger does have 1 banner ad,
and I assume Apple pays AOL something iChat integration. So AIM does
generate (some) revenue.

   But Yahoo, as far as I can see, generates none.

Jim