Re: [NTLK] einstein project?

From: smoerk (smoerk_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 08:43:31 PDT

So let me guess how this could work (just for the fun of it). I will
call the new Software that runs Newton software 1sOs (Ein_stein
operating system or One stone Operating system), stupid name, I know.

First question: What is the targeted hardware platform? I guess it
should be for a PDA and luckily most of the PDAs have a ARM processor
that is compatible to the Newton SA110.

As it's too much work to write a new operating system for this
hardware and write all the different drivers (we do not want to stick
to one PDA model), we need an underlying operating system for 1sOs
that runs today. We have WindowsMobile (aka PocketPC aka WinCE) and
Linux. I would assume that development for Linux is easier and it has
more drivers than WinCE. Disadvantage: not every PDA is supported.

Now there are three possibilities:
1) Write an CPU emulator (like QEMU / SkyEye)
2) Write an virtuale machin (like Vmware / VirtualPC for Intel)
3) Write an NewtonOS Emulator (like Wine)

Solution 1) is too slow and 3) is too much work for a first step.

The disadvantage with 2) is, that you a dump from the Newton ROM and
you cannot distribute the Newton ROM legally (I guess). I think that's
not really a disadvantage in the beginning as it is more important
that it is possible to run Newton software on another hardware than
the Messagepad. This will draw some attention, which is a good thing.

Then you can start replacing parts of the NewtonOS (if this is somehow
possible).

I wonder if iI'm completly wrong with my predection. We will see.