[NTLK] The point of the software

From: Andy Galluzzi (agalluzzi_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 08:26:18 PDT

Gulliver is a great software. If you plan to travel, you makes you plans
there and everything will go well. Notes and Agenda are two obvious PDA
application, and makes it very usefull. A GPS is a great idea for a PDA.
But, does anybody really use the PDA with a Web Browser Surfing the Net?

I'm asking myself what is the point of the software in a PDA, that kind
of software that makes the tecnology usefull and don't let us fall in
the abuse of tecnology (like that guys who make the shopping list in its
PDA).

I've worked in a company in Brazil where people has make a point-of-sale
system that works with some iPaq in a Wireless network. They have found
that with the new system, the restaurant can win more, because with less
people they take care of more clients, and have a more quick rotation of
the clients. The investment is recovered in a year.

I was thinking above this a while, and understood that people that use
PDA, are people that move a lot. And people move to make somenthing.
Somenthing could be searching a house, or a dog. See the next grand
prix, or meet with the friends in the next bar. On the other hand are
the companys that use a PDA because they need a computer portable
enought that can be carried in hand and with enought power to do the
things that they need.

Some people has a job mobible enought to need a PDA, like some seller,
visitors, and prople that travel all the time. Other people like them
who play Golf, would be a candidate for a PDA, what does it is really
usefull for him? The olimpic games show us a *lot* of sports where a PDA
would be a great tool for the traineer... or not?

I would like to open the debate here. What is the point of the software
in a PDA. Does anybody know some reference or publication above this?

Sorry for my english.
I'm open to ideas.
Andy.