Re: [NTLK] Special characters in owner info allowed?

From: Dan Mills (vthunder_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 12:06:11 PDT

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:00:49 -0500, Peter H. Coffin
<hellsop_at_ninehells.com> wrote:

> historically interesting literary terms. How UCS-2 and UTF-16 interlock is
> directly comparable to how ascii and UTF-8 interlock.

Aha. Thanks for the good explanation :-)

I still wouldn't call them identical (just like I wouldn't say ASCII
and UTF-8 are identical), but I see the point: the double-word
characters in UTF-16 are rare enough you can usually treat it as
UCS-2. And you can always interpret UCS-2 as UTF-16, because of the
reserved bits in UCS-2.

Now, to bring this back to the Newton :-) UCS-2 is all fine and good,
but the system font doesn't have all of the glyphs, so for example
Japanese text (I'm studying japanese) shows up as little boxes
whenever the system font is used. I installed a hack to set the
system font to TaipeiX, which includes Japanese glyphs, but some apps
don't honor this. In particular, Names. Does anyone know of a
fix/workaround for that?

-Dan