Re: [NTLK] Can't get battery out--UPDATE

From: Mike Matthews (mike920_at_pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 22:58:14 PDT

On Jul 23, 2004, at 10:37 PM, Woody Smith wrote:

> Since you were able to swap the batteries the first time it seems that
> there should not be a problem with the mechanism. I would try tapping
> the battery side of the Newt against my hand while activating the
> release mechanism.
> If necessary you can open the case with the battery in, but I don't
> think you will need to.
>
> Woody
>
> On Saturday, July 24, 2004, at 12:19 AM, Mike Matthews wrote:
>>
>> ---
>> Well, a soft reset finally got the Newton to restart. Internal data is
>> safe. I'll let the Newton battery recharge and go from there.
>>
>> But I still cannot get the battery out. So I still need a solution for
>> that because one day it will have to come out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> mm

---
Well, I worked up the guts to open my Newton (thanks to Frank and
PCBMan for details from previous posts.)
Managed to get the back of the case off and I still can't get the
battery out.
This is not a corrosion issue; the battery was clean when I inserted it
a few weeks ago. Looks to me like the spring mechanism that ejects the
battery is shot. Odd, because you don't replace a Newton battery pack
every day.
I'm not comfortable going any further for fear of doing more damage
(like having a battery that drops out of the Newton when exposed to
gravity at just the right angle...).
So how tough is this to fix? Anyone know how?
---
mm