Re: [NTLK] Globetrotter/ Vodafone Mobile Connect Card n Newton

From: Luiz Petroni (lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 05:08:53 PDT

Dave,

> How cool would that be?

I have one from T.Mobile which worked with a SIM card from TIM Brazil
with no problems.
I use it to surf the web via GRPS and can place or receive calls/faxes
(although I don't use it this way so much).

> So here's my questions - has anyone got the drivers talked about in the
> posts, and also a detailed explanation of how to configure the various
> bits and bobs?

Roman Pixell used to have a page with a full description of the card
and a modem script to make it work with the Newton but the link I have
is not working anymore. I downloaded his script and the documentation
from Option's site and made my own script (you can use modem modifier,
Internet Setup, PT100 or something like this).

> Also, does anyone know if the Option Combo Card works as
> well or just the plain GPRS card? The Combo card has WiFi, W-LAN as
> well as GPRS.

AFAIK, combo cards do not work with the Newton. :(

> On a related question. Would a normal WiFi card (Linksys WPC11) work in
> a WiFi hot spot, for example the local Starbucks?

If you have all bits set accordingly (including any necessary password
/ network name / etc...) I believe that it will work.

--lpetroni